-
July 14th, 2001, 09:59 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi there I just got my hands on max 4 Its my first 3d program and so far Im very happy with it. Ive worked though a few tutorials. I hve a basic understanding of the program.
My question is. In a short film I start shooting on dv in the next two weeks. I have a dream sequencey where the main character is looking into a mirror. He reaches out to touch his reflection and the mirror ripples like water. like if you drop a stone in a pond.
The next dream he looks into a the same mirror when a reflective tenticle comes out of the mirror and stops an inch infront of his face. (like the water creature in the abyse.
in the third dream again at the same mirror. I need the same kind of effect he touches the mirror it ripples like water he pulls his hand away buy thr mirror is stuck to his finger he pulls it out and the mirror streches then flicks back. He touches the mirror againthis time it doesnt flick back it start to cover his hand and arm. Like in the matrix.
So can someone give me advise on achieving these effects. a (tutorial maybe). Plus any advise for shooting on the day that might make things easyer.
Ok sorry its a long post.
-
July 14th, 2001, 11:26 AM
#2
Inactive Member
well, first, you're gonna need a bloody good PC (or mac), with some really good 3D software (3D Studio MAX for example). You can then do the matrix effects you are talking about.
BTW, why are you trying to copy the matrix effects? do something original!
------------------
KEEP FOCUSED!
Little Rich.
http://go.to/littlerich
[email protected]
-
July 14th, 2001, 11:40 AM
#3
Inactive Member
well, first, you're gonna need a bloody good PC (or mac), with some really good 3D software (3D Studio MAX for example). You can then do the matrix effects you are talking about.
BTW, why are you trying to copy the matrix effects? do something original!
------------------
KEEP FOCUSED!
Little Rich.
http://go.to/littlerich
[email protected]
-
July 14th, 2001, 05:46 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
This is the gear Im using.
1.4 gh prosesser
80 gig hard drive
256 sdram
19 inch monitor
3d studio max 4
adobe premier 6
photo shop 6
after fx 5
What im doing Is very original. How can this guy say Im copying the matrix when he hasnt even read my script. Jesus that pisses me off.
What is it with people on this board bashing people who are actualy doing somthing. I bet most of the people who are moaning about zombie flicks havent even started shooting anything yet because they spend all day being total snobs on this board.
[This message has been edited by Despin entertainment (edited July 14, 2001).]
-
July 14th, 2001, 06:34 PM
#5
Inactive Member
The matrix had a very large budget to generate those effects, like wise the abyss plus the CG artists we're some of the best around.
It might take an awful lot of work to get the results you want not to mention a hell of a lot of time. I'm not knocking your ability or dedication but it might be an idea to start with something simpler with a faster turn around, if your just starting out then "baby steps" are best.
You have to bear in mind that the rest of your film "might" turn out crap dispite all your hard work on the CG, which again when your just starting out can be very demoralising.
However, if your confident you can do it and that's what you really want to do then just do it!! I can only talk from a short film (minus the 3D) background.
After all that does sound like a kick ass setup you've got there!!
[This message has been edited by ilpostino (edited July 14, 2001).]
-
July 14th, 2001, 06:38 PM
#6
Inactive Member
The matrix had a very large budget to generate those effects, like wise the abyss plus the CG artists we're some of the best around.
It might take an awful lot of work to get the results you want not to mention a hell of a lot of time. I'm not knocking your ability or dedication but it might be an idea to start with something simpler with a faster turn around, if your just starting out then "baby steps" are best.
You have to bear in mind that the rest of your film might turn out crap dispite all your hard work which again when your just starting out can be very demoralising.
However, if your confident you can do it and that's what you really want to do then just do it!! I can only talk from a short film (minus the 3D) background.
After all that does sound like a kick ass setup you've got there!!
-
July 14th, 2001, 07:17 PM
#7
-
July 14th, 2001, 08:42 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
I thought about doing it part phyical but decided against. It will be hard work but with some help it can be done so any 3d artist wanna help me
-
July 16th, 2001, 01:41 PM
#9
Inactive Member
POST 1:
>He touches the mirror again this time it
>doesnt flick back it start to cover his
>hand and arm. Like in the matrix.
POST 2:
>What im doing Is very original. How can
>this guy say Im copying the matrix when he
>hasnt even read my script. Jesus that
>pisses me off.
You *are* trying to copy the matrix. He's only trying to help. Remember the matrix was a film that showed off its special effects. You are making a low budget film use it to show off your imagination and initiative....
Perhaps mods is right. If you set the edits up correctly you could establish a mirror in a room on the wall, and the character walking up to it.
Then for the close up the mirror could actually be on the floor, facing upwards. Its a different mirror, although it looks the same, you could set the mirror back away from the frame and cover it with a couple of inches of water.
From the right angle and experiment with placing the lights - this could look like its a normal mirror placed against a wall. As the character touches it it will ripple his reflection.
Rememember however you choose to do it the simplest solution will be the best.
-
July 16th, 2001, 02:12 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
If I said, I had a film with a car chase in it and I want a shot where the car skids round a corner.
Now whats the best way of achieving the effect.
Thats fine you know what im asking for and what Im talking about.
Im not copying every film thats ever had a car chase though am I.
Now to describe the shots I need for my movie I found very hard to put into words. If we were face to face its no problem I can draw it or show you my sketches. But I cant so the nearest I could think of was that scene in the matrix. That only came as a after thought so you guys would no what the hell Im talking about.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks